Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Promotion Policy

Postby Verran » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 am

In light of Icewolf's post, the Red Dragons have put together their promotion policy.

It has been posted on the squad page:

Thanks!
Verran & Whoskyd
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Re: Promotion Policy

Postby Drakona » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 am

That's very helpful!

It does seem to me that the first item has pretty limited application to cadets like me, though. It actually chafes a bit that I am allowed to do so little for the organization. I can't do most of the things you list. I can't run events or post news. I certainly can't vet new members. I can't even help with simple administrative stuff like reporting games. I could theoretically run games (rules say yes, active practice says no). I do enable a lot of games by hosting them, but that seems to be the limit of the administrative help I can offer.

So . . . I guess, the takeaway message for me is, participate and know the rules? Play a wide variety of game types? Train people who aren't as good at Descent as me?

Beyond that, I just have to pester you?
Verran
Commander
Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Postby Verran » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 am

JinX
Not Active
• Blue Lightning

Postby JinX » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 am

I approve of this. Great work, Verran.
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Drakona » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Verran
Commander
Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Postby Verran » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Drakona » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Oh, I know that rule. Hence my characterization of the process as "pester you".
Hawkins
Not Active
• Black Lions
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Drakona, each rank has its own rights and its own responsibilities. A prime factor for promotion I believe to hold for all squadrons is that a pilot fulfills their role as their rank implies.

For example, CADETs. They have just been appointed members of the league, which by the rules, means you have a basic grasp of the rules, and therefore ready to apply it to the very main purpose of this league: playing scored games, towards collective gaming statistics.*

However, to maintain the leagues order, and ensure its growth and development, tasks beyond gaming are necessary, that are entailed and elaborated with each rank. There are thus two ways to see ranks: at the same time as providing more privileges, they are in fact loading you with more responsibilities towards the league. It is thus natural not to expect new pilots to be involved with anything other than just gaming, the essence of the league and the prime motive to get everything else right and in order.

Once new pilots find themselves with a bunch of game points in their roster, and their impulse indicates others your motivation to assisting this league, you start to grow in rank. Either your commading officer sees it, or their captain, or even any officer if present can provide recommendations. Even you can recommend yourself as already pointed out; while one must not be overzealous, we do insist people to express their concern about promotion, as some of the times they are revealing about themselves, when no-one could see them grow.

So what I would advise you if you need it is: don't forget what this place is really for. That should be enough (hint: motivation ;) ) Good luck, and hope to fly with you in the mines, once I'm thru with my deadlines.**

*big awesome thanx to Verran and the rest of the ream for building, maintaining to date this tremendous database of games
**oooh, I'm gonna beat Verran to it, yes. :P
My god, it's full of stars. ~
Live and explore...
Bonds are as bonded as the bonded...
There is only one way out of deep ****...
Another definition for laziness is: placebo resting!
Trust is laziness. Mistrust is obsession.

Return to “Red Dragons”