CTF Classic Mod & Turkey Shoot Mod (based on D2x-Retro 1.3a)

Our work to make Rebirth better.
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

CTF Classic Mod & Turkey Shoot Mod (based on D2x-Retro 1.3a)

Postby Icewolf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 pm

CTF Classic mod based on Retro 1.3a

How does it work?
- Replaces original D2 ctf
- Flags spawn in home base
- Flag returns to the base automatically when carrier dies or after scoring
- To score the flag your own flag must be present home
- Disabled flag drop (ALT 0)
- -DISABLED

- Odd spawn positions on the level belong to Red team(1,3,5,7), even positions to Blue team (0,2,4,6)( for jinxes CTFC levels compatibility ) DLE has it other way around as I recall, since it uses numbers from 1 to 8 for start positions unlike the game engine or SDLDevil does. This needs confirmation as I'm not 100% sure for DLE stuff.
- Only killer gets 1 point for a kill (individual score). Team score only rises by 10 points for capture, team pool gets also -1 for suicide or teamkill.
- It uses Arch's tracker by default with protocol version starting from 4000.
- Gauss damage has been decreased (approx. 50%) in all modes.

I dedicate this mod to our friend Jinx who passed away.

What's needed?
- Community input
- Someone with ability to compile sources for MacOS

Links:
Windows exe and Source - https://github.com/nightwish75/d2x-ta/releases

This mod mostly has been written from scratch since original code was built upon rebirth 57.3 codebase.
Yet several lines from original source code was used (spawn positions assignment).
I imagine some people may not like replacing original CTF - I'm sorry, such approach made it possible to write it faster and easier.
Besides we don't have many CTF games going - so I figured original CTF isn't much popular any more.
Classic CTF is much more tactical gametype, give it a try.

Turkey Shoot mod
It is a team mode where one player is designated as turkey (red team), while the rest are hunters (blue team).
Turkey can use only flares and mines and also has an afterburner. Hunters can use all weapons available but no afterburner.
Goal is to get as many kills on turkey as possible.
Teamkills or suicides ain't counted.
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Re: CTF Classic Mod & Turkey Shoot Mod (based on D2x-Retro 1.3a)

Postby Icewolf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Its been a while since I posted here.
I'm not going to work on it for a while maybe not ever.
CTFC is a dead end thx to retro p2p inability to keep track on items duplication (it is a 'feature' of original descent - part of the community wanted it back - for me it is a bug fixed by zico once and brought back by retro). In my opinion its not worth of my time to fix the thing that was broken in purpose.
Turkey Shoot - its exclusively Rangers mod, and I love it. The biggest pain in the butt is scoring rules which are really hard to track during the game plus changing controls manually when switching between hunter-turkey roles. This mod takes care about these things - you don't need to worry about it anymore.
Last man standing mode was my dream, maybe I will do it at some point, but not with retro codebase - I'm tired of this mess.

Turkey shoot mod seems to be disliked mainly because of gauss cap - my opinion is neutral about it, it was proposed by others claiming that gauss is OP. Maybe it is especially if you are used to original or pre-58 rebirth ver. I can deal with it. I'm considering (I need just some will and time) removing gauss cap from the project - if I do it will be last thing for me to do with the current project.
So bottom line is that - if the group decides one day to play Dxx-rebirth or (greatly) improved new retro - I would gladly use this as codebase to do some more work, but no promises :P

Return to “Mods for Rebirth Development”