Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Feature Request: Mission Database

Postby Verran » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:08 pm

We should create our own mission database. It could tie into game reports. We could setup user/member ratings for things like # of players, best game mode(s), etc, similar to Icewolf's standalone app, but integrated. And then we could consolidate our mission/levels list. It would be helpful all around. One big issue is disk space availability. Where do we host it? How hard is Dropbox integration? Google Drive integration? Current web host disk space availability? Does it scale for future changes? Etc.
Sirius
Captain
Captain
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• Gold Phoenix Guard
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Re: Feature Request: Mission Database

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:09 pm

This one looks pretty big but I like the idea of it. I am considering whether to work on this myself but it's not exactly a starter project and I don't want to "claim" something that someone else who is faster is already going to do - so I will just leave this note that I'm interested in this.
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 am

Our dropbox used to serve partially for that purpose so maybe it could be more... integrated.
I stopped using rangers dropbox a while ago since I didn't like the idea of having all of it on my hdd the whole time with some users constantly making a mess there. I still find it useful sometimes with web access (from rangers page) yet file names aren't good enough when looking for particular mission knowing it by title.
Sirius
Captain
Captain
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• Gold Phoenix Guard
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Sirius » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:06 pm

Are there any good sites out there for storing large amounts of data for organizations? Preferably either free or cost-effective for $/GB. The other option is storing it all on the Rangers web host, though I don't know what the cost structure is like there either.
Verran
Commander
Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Postby Verran » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Google Drive offers more free disk space than Dropbox. We are using it for Sol Contingency.

That said, Google's APIs are atrocious. I host the domain's email through Gmail and have a process to keep the email lists updated via Google's APIs. It's a first-hand nightmare. Oh, and it wouldn't be able to run on the site anyway, due to a restriction. I have to run the email update process on my machine at home. :|

As far as the current web host, status: 576.53 MB / Unlimited

But there's nothing to say we switch web hosts in the future and the plan would change. It's happened a number of times in the past. Then again, nothing's to say Google Drive or Dropbox will be around or free in the future, either.

Maybe the simplest approach is best, and just use the web host.
Verran
Commander
Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Postby Verran » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:56 pm

I have started on this project and purchased descentmissions.org. It will be a standalone site and community-oriented (not Rangers-only) with REST endpoints available for any client to utilize (the Ranger's site).
Verran
Commander
Commander
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Red Dragons
• Senior Officer

Postby Verran » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I have the project started, but have been too busy to touch it in many months. It will be a long time before this is available.

Return to “Member Feedback and Contributions”