Captain
Captain
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Ryusei117 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

So, um ... yeah ... I think I just accidentally exploited the Co-op scoring system. Apparently, I'm a five-star pilot this season. :P

It happened when I played my first games of this season in the Co-op Saturday. Sirius and I had been playing for 20 minutes when Naleksi arrived and joined us. We then finished the rest of Descent 2: Counterstrike!, with other players joining and leaving here and there. When the games were reported, the Awaiting Validation page showed that I would receive reasonable KPs and GPs, giving a small boost to my lifetime ace rating (which is around 80%). But then the games were validated ... and I got 28 KPs and 28 GPs for a seasonal ace rating of 100%.

My first thought was, "Ha, that's an awesome bug. Shame I have to report it now!" When I looked closer, however, I saw what the scoring system was actually doing. That first 20-minute game was worth 2 KPs and 2 GPs, which is correct, according to the calculations described on the Rules page. After that game, my seasonal ace rating was 100% - so every subsequent Co-op game had to reinforce that 100% rating! If I understand the Co-op scoring calculations correctly, any player with a lifetime ace rating greater than 50% can trigger this exploit by playing a 20-minute, 2-player Co-op game as their first game of a season and then continuing to play Co-op. (If a player's ace rating is 50% or less, that short game would be worth only 1 KP and 2 GPs.)

Unfortunately, I know from previous discussions that making changes to the scoring system is prohibitively difficult, as everyone's stats and medals would be affected ... but I thought I'd report this anyway, if only to see what people think. It's easy to avoid using exploits like this one on purpose, but when they can happen by accident and mess with the statistics ... I dunno what to do now. Do I have to stop playing Co-op this season? :(

Oh yeah, the opposite of this is also possible - and it can be brutally punishing. Let's say I perform unexpectedly badly on my first game of a season, putting me at 20% seasonal ace rating. If I then want to attend Co-op Saturday, that 20% will be amplified as each Co-op game rewards me with a bit more than 20%, making it hard to recover from that one bad game even by getting first place in a bunch of Anarchy games.

Anyway, discussion is welcome! Anyone have any thoughts? :)
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Re: Feedback: Unintentional Co-op scoring exploits

Postby Icewolf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am

Uhm. yea Coop scoring system was invented when cooperative games were not so popular, great majority was anarchy and other modes. Just a thought.

Maybe if member percentage used would always be lifetime instead of the season that could fix it.
Ryusei117
Captain
Captain
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Ryusei117 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Oh well, This scoring system is not meant to be accurate, but rather close to fair (more or less).
So I assume having some disadvantage or issue with long inactivity periods is better than having potential exploit.
or something along these lines...

Return to “Member Feedback and Contributions”