CajunAce Here!

About the Rangers and Descent.
Cajunace
Not Active
• Red Dragons

CajunAce Here!

Postby Cajunace » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:25 am

Merry Christmas, fellow Rangers! Any old-timers still playing (besides Verran)? I haven't played D2 since I got my Alienware gaming PC about 4 years ago. It has no game port and I'm not sure how to get D2 set up on here. I don't know where my old Wingman Extreme joystick is. Maybe in the attic? I also vaguely remember a Microsoft joystick that worked. What joystick works best for D2 on a modern PC?

Playing D1 and D2 was some of the most fun I've ever had. For those of you who are more recent members (KoolBear sponsored me back in 1996), my favorite gameplay was coop. I remember one tournament where we played the D2 water levels (4-8). Razor & I got to the reactor room on level 8, where I normally use guided missiles to take out the most dangerous bots. I popped open the door to shoot a guided missile and Razor flew by with afterburners on. Razor was more brute force than me. I'd prefer stealth tactics. I didn't dare go in there with the 20 (or more) robots and Razor battling it out. After quite a bit of missile and laser blasts, Razor popped open the door and we fled the mine - winning the tournament with no deaths and the fastest time. I'd often play coop with Avenger, too.

Perhaps I'll find a joystick and play again.
Cajunace
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Re: CajunAce Here!

Postby Cajunace » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:26 am

Ah, I remember the MS joystick now. It was the Sidewinder 3D Pro. Unfortunately, it has an old-style connector, too. My PC doesn't have one of those.
Ryguy
Not Active
• Blue Lightning

Postby Ryguy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Hey CajunAce. I think there are adapters that allow you to plug an old joystick into a USB port. I am not sure who makes them, but ask around if you get into Mumble. Many old joystick players have started going with mouse or with the Logitech 3D Pro joystick.
This statement is false.
Cajunace
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Cajunace » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:17 pm

I can't remember what I did with my joysticks. They must be in a box in the attic somewhere. Will take a look. I can't imagine I threw them away.
Cajunace
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Cajunace » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:19 am

I did find my old joysticks (3 MS Sidewinder Pros and 1 Wingman Extreme) in the attic, along with that device to connect them to a USB port. Haven't tried installing D2 yet. Will have to locate my disk.
Ryusei117
Captain
Captain
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Ryusei117 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:31 am

Welcome back! Installing D1 and D2 from CDs can be tricky since the installer programs are really old now. I can't remember whether they actually install on a modern 64-bit Windows system. One thing that works is to use (an MS-DOS emulator) to run the installer, and then copy the needed data files to DXX Retro (the updated game engine we use that runs on modern systems). Another option involves using 7-Zip to extract the needed data files from the archives on the CDs. I'm short on time right now, but I can explain more later if you need. Feel free to ask questions here, or come bug me on Mumble if you see me online. :)
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:53 am

Did someone say Microsoft Sidewinder Pro that plugs into the sound card?! I wish I had mine here too (and that it was compatible with my laptop...). Mouselook play is not my favorite.

I was about to say to use GOG to get the game data, but I just remembered that they have taken down the Descent games over legal issues between Interplay and Parallax... rats. As ryusei said, DOSBOX can work, though I generally find it to be a pain to work with. An installation program is pretty simple though and shouldn't be *too* hard to run through DBox.

Regarding the other suggestion, I'm not sure what kind of archive file is used on the CDs, and whether it's 7-zip-compatible, but I can say that did manage to get D1 and D2 to install on Windows XP natively from the CD-ROMs (Rebirth required to play, but not for installation itself). No guarantees though.
"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltsin

Return to “General Discussion”