Anyone willing to tutor a noob?

About the Rangers and Descent.
Maestro_MD

Anyone willing to tutor a noob?

Postby Maestro_MD » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Hey -

I'm Jonathan, a 17-year-old CompSci student at Rochester Institute of Technology. I've been playing the Descent games in single player mode for many years, but I'm just now starting to play in multiplayer mode (I go by Maestro in D1/2 and Jon in D3).

What I'm looking for is one or a few people who'd care to play a few games, give me some tips, etc. I'm not too bad at general flight dynamics, aiming, and such, but dogfighting strategies against human players are a bit beyond me at this point. In the few games I've played, I get around 20-30% efficiency in D1 and 40-50% in D3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In my experience with the Rangers community, everyone's been great so far, helping me get my game set up and pointing me toward match opportunities. Thanks a bunch, everyone!

- Maestro/Jon/Jonathan
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Re: Anyone willing to tutor a noob?

Postby Icewolf » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello Jonathan.
Welcome to our forums!
We are always willing to play games, visit our mumble server to find people to play.
In order to maximize the chance for games please consider applying to the Rangers community here: http://www.descentrangers.com/Apply
Skill level is not important.

There is also 1v1 ladder here: http://descentchampions.org/
Ryusei117
Captain
Captain
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Ryusei117 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 am

Konnichi wa, and welcome! I remember you from the DXX-Rebirth forum, and we crossed Lasers in D3 Capture the Flag last Friday. I'd be glad to participate in some training games if I can catch you on Mumble. There are a few engagement tactics and maneuvers I could teach that can make you more difficult to kill. For example, the Gauss Cannon is widely hated because of its invisible, high-velocity rounds, but I've managed to show a few pilots how to dodge it fairly reliably. So yeah, let's have some games!
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for your support guys, I've signed up for both groups. And I look forward to games, both practice and competitive; hope I don't let my new squad down :) .

Just a (rhetorical) question - why is the Descent community so much nicer to new people than, well, every other game? It's really striking and reflects well on everyone involved in my opinion. Good going guys.
"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltsin
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh, and one quick thing - I'm running on a rather compressed timetable, as I'd like to make it to associate within the next week and a half. For reasons that will go unnamed I'll have *extremely* spotty internet access for about a month after that, so my application would expire. I guess I'd better get cracking on those vouches ;). And if possible I'd like to take the rules test this weekend.
"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltsin
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:30 pm

PigmyRhino
Major
Major
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Junior Officer
• News Manager

Postby PigmyRhino » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:40 am

Hello Maestro! Welcome to the Forums! :D I'd be glad to fly around with you. I'm no teacher, but the best way to learn is first hand experience in multiplayer. That's how I learned! :D
Descent Rangers Reign Supreme

Past:
Red Dragons Applicant, Associate, Cadet, Ranger, Ensign, Corporal
Black Lions 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, Major, Captain

Current:
Blue Lightning Lt. Commander

RIP S.H. (10/1/1986-3/3/2014)
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks, Pigmy! I'm usually lurking around the mumble in the evenings, although I'll be on for a few hours this afternoon too (2 to 4:30-ish). I'm looking for three more game points to meet the advancement requirement. That gosh-darn Swarthy's been beating me up in DCL matches, and now he has the audacity to get advanced before me even though he joined later than me... grrr. ;)

As far as teaching goes, from what I've heard from others the best method for anyone to teach me would be to have them stand behind me with a long flat stick and hit me when I don't trichord. You up for that? :D:
PigmyRhino
Major
Major
• Blue Lightning
• Event Manager
• Junior Officer
• News Manager

Postby PigmyRhino » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 am

lol, sure :)
Descent Rangers Reign Supreme

Past: