2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Mapping competition

Postby Icewolf » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:45 pm

This post has been edited - 23 Oct

Rules published and moved here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1999

If you want to be a judge - let me know.
Number of judge positions is limited. Judges application deadline is 24th October.
Currently applied:
Icewolf, Verran, yagar,skywarp,Tigeron
Currently admitted:
Verran,Icewolf,Tigeron,yagar

Judges will send evaluation reports to me (keep it confidential), after 25th Nov all reports will be released with final score count for each level.
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Re: Mapping competition

Postby Maestro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Sure, this sounds like a cool idea. I'd be happy to cook up a level to throw into the mix, although I don't think I have enough experience to be the organizer. I actually just grabbed DLE, let's make this happen!
"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltsin
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:47 am

Thanks Maestro.

So far there wasn't any responses except yours. I've got your email.
If you are willing to help that's great, lack of experience in organization or rank isn't the problem.
I'm pretty busy atm so feel free to point rangers to this thread - that can help.
As for the formula of the competition.

I guess three categories of the levels I mentioned in previous post should fit the current need for certain type of levels for rangers scored games.
- best anarchy level for 5+ players
- best hoard level for 4+ players
- best team anarchy level for 3v3, 4v4
Mapper can post multiple levels in any/all categories.
Each level must be build by that person, if it is build in cooperation it must have one designated main author.
Levelsets are evaluated as separate levels, but it must be indicated by author in which category each level competes.
However stand alone single levels are preferred (ease of use during hosting regular scored games).

I was thinking about short coop campaign too, but this would require a lot more time to build and I don't want to overstretch time bracket too much, 1 month should be more than enough - maybe even too much.
Announcement of the competition is easy and it can be done anytime I'm just waiting for some interest.
I need participants:
- level builders who want to take part
- competition judges - preferably very active players - this group will evaluate the levels, 5 judges would be perfect (7 top) yet the condition is they can not post their levels for the competition.

The judges will decide which level in each category is best and grant a medal(s).
They should be active enough to have time to play these levels.
Member can get medal of arts only once in this competition regardless the number of categories he wins (at least one to get a medal). Medal(s) of arts will be granted by judges after reaching the verdict in each category.

Evaluation criteria for judges:
- level layout from the levels category perspective, like size, weapon amount, number and location of hoard goals
- design, texturing, visibility

There will be pool for all members too, for one single best creation within competition which also may grant a medal (if winner of this pool didn't get it from judges already).
All results would be posted on main website and facebook group.

Currently needed:
1.) Map builders willing to take part (at least 4)
- Maestro
2.) Level judges (at least 3)
- Icewolf

Contact me if you want to be in either of these groups.
In case of judge position any squad leader is welcomed (if he is really available for level testing and discussing the verdict). Any other active members applying for judge position will be subject to activity evaluation by event sponsor (me) before.

The formula of this competition needs to be accepted by all squad leaders since they are responsible for granting medal of arts. So if they all agree with these rules we have a go.
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:14 am

Above event formula has been sent to senior officers for acceptance.
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:22 am

A suggestion, and a couple of logistics things -

If the number of judges who sign up is too low, I feel that builders could potentially be allowed to act as judges in categories they have no submissions in - presumably, they don't have any conflicts of interest in how the category is judged. Also, in some of the bigger levels like Anarchy 5+ and Team 4x4, non-judging players might be worth recruiting - it's hard to get a sense of the balance of a level designed for eight players when there are only three or four judges playing. Both of these items would depend on how many judges sign up, so the determination would have to be made closer to the submission deadline.

For submissions, I can make an account on the Descent Mission Database specifically for the event. I could then take submissions via email (with member name, a .zip, the category being entered, and an optional short description) and post them to the account so the levels are in one spot and easy to retrieve on testing day.

As far as the testing itself, Saturday, November 19th during the usual Game Night time slot (3PM Eastern) seems logical, since it's when many Rangers have previously expressed their availability. This serves as a good starting point at least, and if the judges reach a consensus on a better time for them it can be tweaked. Then submissions could then be due on the 18th, a little over a month away.

So yeah, just some ideas. Glad to see this getting underway.

P.S. I was playing with Skywarp and Big_Rat for several hours last night, I know both of them do some building and it totally slipped my mind to mention this :oops:. Oh well, I'll try to grab them later.
"You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltsin
Icewolf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
• Black Lions
• Junior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:37 pm

I would like it to be concluded by 20 November or 27th depending on total number of levels.
Submissions should be closed by 18th.
As for judges I suspect it will go much easier to recruit them than get enough level builders.
I have 3 judges already...
Levels can be examined any time after being applied, and they can be applied before 18th.

DMD is probably best place to post them and then send the link with short introduction to me so it will be put on the table.

It shouldn't matter if there is for example 3 judges and the level is designed for 8 players.
How they examine it up to them, it could be regular game with others or even single player 'fly through'.
This is why I prefer 'very active players' as judges - experienced ones, so they would know how to test the level properly.
No need to worry about that or create special rules just for that.

What I would love to see is examination report of some kind which would consist judge comments about each level - this can serve as constructive feedback for the level builder for the future.
Maestro
Captain
Captain
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Maestro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Sounds good. I'll be occupied between the 23rd and 27th of November but that shouldn't really matter.

In terms of a feedback I can draft a form in .doc format to be distributed. If you'd prefer a web form I can make a linkable one with Google but I don't know enough about php to make one embeddable in the main site.
Big_Rat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
• Gold Phoenix Guard
• Junior Officer

Postby Big_Rat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:17 pm

hey guys

I will probably submit something. I am pretty busy until Nov 7, but I also often casually work on new levels - if I have one ready at the right time I am in!

kabok!
Big_Rat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
• Gold Phoenix Guard
• Junior Officer

Postby Big_Rat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 pm

question:

do the levels have to be started after a certain date (contest opening), or just be unplayed or unposted on DMD? I just test-flew one today that I started yesterday, for instance, that is basically finished but I might tweak a bit...
Skywarp
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Skywarp » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am

Hello All,

I would like to volunteer to be a judge, however, I'm also looking to enter the level building side of things too.

thanks

Return to “General Discussion”